Saturday, January 29, 2005

Blogging and NPQH

I'm a complete blogging virgin, so this is my first posting. Thanks, Neil, for setting this up.
The feel of the thing is very similar to my on line NPQH work, where a huge amount of the course is done on the web. The whole ncsl site is packed with stuff and, as those on NPQH will I'm sure agree, most of it is excellent. (www.ncsl.org.uk). During the course one is expected to post a lot of information on the site and it's really helpful to know that you can post a question or a cry for help and know that it will be answered.
In my previous incarnation as a Head of IT, I used the satips email list a lot. If you haven't been to satips.com I suggest that you take a look. The more that use it, the better will get.
Let's hope that this blog will prove to be just as useful if not more so.

4 comments:

Neil Jones said...

Yes...NPQH the OTHER way to the top! Are you finding it useful? Are there other Independent aspiring heads in there with you? For me, its a question of relevance and I've wondered how much relevance there is in NPQH. Perhaps it is going to be most useful because it is a way to find out what is going on in the real world. So more power to you Robert for being in there!

Robert Blake said...

NPQH is very relevant! The vast majority is about leadership, management, team building, time management, etc. The only bits that aren't relevant are those that refer specifically to LEAs and some aspects of governance. However, the maintained sector is about a zillion light years ahead in training heads, so get down to ncsl and get on the course!

Neil Jones said...

Can you do the course without having to write the papers?

Neil Jones said...

I'm interested in how much new material you are introduced to on courses such as this. Is the real value in the "meeting of minds" and the chance to synthesise your own knowledge and experience with your intention to become a head? Or is there something new to learn?